Friday, April 9, 2010

Visit to the Koala Sanctuary

Daddy's away, so I thought we would take a little vacation of our own. I guess technically it was just a day trip (morning only). Anyhow, I took Rox out to the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary. The last time we went there my mom was in town, which was last February!

She really like the birds and she got into a conversation with a sulphur-crested cockatoo. She said, "Bye-bye," and to our surprise, he said it right back to her! So, of course, she said, "Bye-bye," again, and he said it again. They kept on back and forth until we were out of earshot.

This barking owl reminded me of a member of my parents' household.

Mom, Dad, remind you of a certain four-legged black and white feline that sleeps on your piano?

Peering in on the kids during brekky.

"Hmmm...now where is that kangaroo I was just looking...?"

"Oh hello Joey!"

The lounging position of this roo also reminded me of the lounging position of my Uncle Key on the beach:




Before we left, we had to check out their special exhibit: a platypus named Barak.

The best shot I could get in the dark exhibit.


Barak spent most of the time paddling around the surface, but I snapped this when he dived to retrieve some mealworms on the bottom of the aquarium. Playtpuses (platypi?) are amazing animals. He would scoop up some mealworms and then slowly float up while he ate them. When he finished his meal, he swam in a spiral column, rather than straight up, to get back to the surface. Really amazing.

The visit must have really tired her out. She fell asleep almost as soon as I put her in the car and slept the entire ride home, which usually means she doesn't take a nap. Now she's rounding out Hour 2 of a nap!

Takes a lot of energy to keep up with those roos.

No comments: