Saturday, March 7, 2009

Tickets purchased! (Let's hope the local cat burglars don't read our blog)

We've got tickets for our trip home in May. We'll be in California from May 22-June 6. Thanks to the weak Aussie dollar, we got a great deal on our tickets with Air New Zealand. Another bonus - because we are traveling with an infant, we get to sit in the front row of the plane (big planes have bassinets that fold down like a tray table from the dividing walls), so we can be the first ones off the plane (and the last ones to get on, which I think is a bonus)! I guess that's probably the only upside to being on a 14 hour plane ride with an infant.

(On a side note - Air New Zealand boasts that their customers can choose from 20 different diet-specific meals on their flights. I was perusing the list and right there with the Kosher and Gluten-free options was Seafood. Are they serious? It's like that joke, "I'm on a seafood diet...I see food and I eat it!")

The coconut crab - part of Air New Zealand's seafood meal?

We're flying down to Sydney in a couple of week to work out Roxy's citizenship at the U.S. Consulate. There is no permanent U.S. Consulate in Brissie, only an office that opens up a couple of times a year. They were supposed to open up in January, but pushed it back to April. If we wait until April to file paperwork for Roxy's citizenship, passport and SSN, then we might not get her passport to us by the time we need to fly out of the country. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we get her SSN before April 15th so that we can claim her on our U.S. tax return without a problem.

I don't want to post without another picture or two, so here you go:

The spider that lives next to our compost pile.

The peacock that lives in the food court at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary

Those black splotches are some of the thousands of flying foxes that live just up the river on Indooroopilly Island. We see them flying every night at twilight and they're starting to visit the guava tree in our backyard. Nate found remnants of half-eaten guavas!

A couple of flying foxes just starting their night (picture taken from our back steps).

1 comment:

Eddie said...

That coconut crab looks like it means business! is that your garbage can that it's rummaging through?

just heard about the cyclone - be safe and keep us posted!

Eddie and Lisa