Nate's mom left for Philadelphia a couple of days ago. She arrived in Brisbane the same day as Roxy and we (me, especially) were definitely sad to see her go (it's not that Nate wasn't sad, it's just that he's too macho to show it). To all expectant parents: Find yourself a Doreen to live with you for a month when your baby is born. She makes delicious meals, sings wonderful baby songs and is over-the-top generous. Thanks for everything, Doreen! I'm sorry Roxy didn't start really smiling until the day you left. Just think of all of the smiles and laughs you'll get next time you see her!
For Doreen's farewell meal, Nate prepared a recipe from Cook's Illustrated's Fall Special Edition issue. Osso Bucco. Yes, it's veal, and yes, it was delicious.
Now we're on our own and we've handled things pretty well so far. Roxy's five weeks old and up to 4 kilos! Whenever I'm out with her in the baby carrier, the most common comment I get is, "Oh! What a tiny [wee, little, small, other diminutive adjective] baby!" The electrician that came by the other day and actually asked me if she's healthy! "Well, it's just that she's so tiny!" I think he must be used to large babies because he is Samoan and could probably fit her entire body in one hand.
We also had a visit last week from my cousin Staci! She is in Australia with her family and was in Brisbane for a day or two. It was so nice to see her and talk with her about a lot of things and she shared a lot of advice about being a new mom. The timing of her visit couldn't have been better, for a number of reasons... it's funny how the universe works... The day after she stopped in for a visit, she and her husband Michael showed up on our doorstep with an instant baby shower! They gave us all sorts of useful and practical items (including a swing, which has been wonderful!), toys and other sundries. I think I might have scared them because I cried (happy tears) practically the entire time they were here. Their generosity was quite overwhelming for this new mum! Thanks, Staci, for taking time out of your vacation to look after us!
So now we're back to the daily grind. We're surviving our first tropical summer. We've had a couple of really uncomfortable days, but for the most part, it's been pretty tolerable (knock on wood). I'm afraid the bub is going to be too big for all of the newborn onesies by the time it cools off enough for her to wear them.
We're looking forward to the upcoming visit from Eddie and Lisa at the end of the month and then a visit from my mom at the beginning of February! To round out our summer visitors, our former graduate advisors Penny and Peter will be in town for a few days at the end of February/beginning of March. By that time, we will be out of the worst of summer heat (hopefully!) and at the start of autumn. I'm interested to see how autumn manifests itself at 27 degrees latitude.
We're looking forward to the upcoming visit from Eddie and Lisa at the end of the month and then a visit from my mom at the beginning of February! To round out our summer visitors, our former graduate advisors Penny and Peter will be in town for a few days at the end of February/beginning of March. By that time, we will be out of the worst of summer heat (hopefully!) and at the start of autumn. I'm interested to see how autumn manifests itself at 27 degrees latitude.
We just got word that Nate's sister and brother-in-law will be visiting for three weeks in July/August. They took advantage of the insane sale that Qantas is having - check the qantas website for cheap flights!
We will be in California for my sister's graduation from law school in May and I hope we'll get to catch up with a lot of family and friends while we're there. More details to follow...
1 comment:
So, so cute, and I hope things are quieting, you're feeling better, and excited about visitors! I would be!
Post a Comment